Mon, 18 Sept|
NZSL for Health Online - Part 1
Learn NZSL online from the comfort of your home! A 3-week NZSL crash course for health professionals for $49 starting Monday, 18th September from 6.45pm - 7.45pm. This course fee includes weekly e-handouts and homework.
Date, Time & Location
18 Sept 2023, 6:45 pm – 7:45 pm
About The Course
Learn NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) online via MySign!
You will still have a class and a qualified NZSL tutor to teach you and it is fully interactive - just online! 3-week online crash course designed for health professionals. You will learn health-related signs that will help you communicate with your Deaf patients and clients. Starting Monday, 18th September from 6.45pm - 7.45pm. This is suitable for students who have no previous knowledge of NZSL.
You would just need a computer/laptop with a camera and an internet connection, and you have everything you need. Tablets or mobile phones are not recommended for online learning.
Dates: 18/9, 25/9 and 2/10
Time: 6.45pm - 7.45pm (1 hour x 3 sessions)
Fee: The cost is $49 for the full 3-week course. This includes weekly e-handouts and homework.
Tutor: Shannon Morris
Course Outline for Health Professionals #1
Class One - Initial Consultation
- exchange greetings and make introductions
- ask about family history of health (diabetes, heart problems, parents, siblings)
- learn about body parts (face and body)
- share information about social history (smoking, alcohol, exercise), obstetric history (pregnancy, childbirth) and surgical history
- tell current medication
- learn numbers 1 - 10
Class Two - Body & Physical examination
- ask what current issues are including current symptoms (infection, flu, chest pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, fatigue, weight loss/gain, swelling, headache)
- ask for clarification, correction, and confirmation
- tell simple body functions (breath, heartbeat, blood)
- Deaf culture - understand about working with NZSL interpreters
Class Three - Medication and Treatment
- give and follow simple instructions and action commands
- learn time in NZSL (referring how long, days and months)
- recount 0 – 10 and counting up to 20
- tell simple medications (tablets, injections, liquid medicine) and simple tests
- learn other health related professions (physio, chemist, specialist, nurse, etc.)
- Deaf culture – understand about cultural and medical views on Deaf people
**Please note that min. numbers (4 students) must be reached for the course to go ahead. Please note registering online confirms your registration and commits you to the course.
When the registration is completed you will receive a confirmation email with details such as zoom link to join the course, check spam folder if you didn't receive the email.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to email to email@example.com. If you want us your employer to cover your fees, you can contact us so we can register you manually and your invoice will be sent to you/your employer. Thank you in advance.
This course fee includes weekly e-handouts and homework.$49.00Tax: +$1.23 WebsiteFee